I don’t want to create any unnecessary suspense so FYI, I think Jacket is going home on Friday night. Her mom wanted me to drop her off but I’ve instead convinced her to come over for dinner to provide a better transition for Jacket. And of course, Jacket’s mom is savvy that a typical level ACS case is not going to get a home visit on the weekend- who knows, maybe she’ll bring her back on Monday?
The lovely ACS case worker paid her second visit last week and she had a very different tune about the plan. Things I learned:
1. ACS case must be closed withing 60 days
2. I’ve seriously covered Jacket’s mom’s ass by ‘producing the child’ for ACS (and as you can see she’s very healthy and unharmed- contrary to the allegation). I have mixed feelings of having taken on the extra work (I see it as a personal time suck at this point).
3. Jacket’s mom “completed services” post-reunion (aka after Jacket went back) even though from a different perspective (my field) developmental disabilities services are never “complete”, they are lifelong.
4. My assumption that ACS would ambush Jacket’s mom at the foster agency was totally off.
I began a few weeks ago telling ACS that I didn’t know what the solution was. I don’t want Jacket pulled from her mom’s home if she’s just going to be returned in 6 months without OPWDD services. I still think that services for Jacket’s mom’s permanent and irreversible disability should be mandated until Jacket turns 18. Not sure this is legal though.
I also assumed that ACS would have Jacket’s mom’s door busted down the moment Jacket returned home- I guess since they’ve seen Jacket safe and in good condition that’s a bit overkill.
Honestly, there’s nothing new going on with Jacket’s mom so I don’t think I’m in any place to demand that Jacket be removed. I’m just trying to be as factual and honest as possible and leave it up to the professionals. From my perspective, ACS is doing all they can. It seems that it’s more about laws needing to change. I don’t know actually. It’s all pretty confusing and out of my league.
Mentally, I’m framing this time with Jacket as summer camp.
Recent commentsBlog comments powered by Disqus
- chadclan likes this
- lolkay likes this
- meganz likes this
- thepinksuperhero said: Hope things die down a bit for awhile so you can get some rest!
- araroden likes this
- relovingit likes this
- gavinandxandersmom likes this
- sweetpeafairies likes this
- alinalogic likes this
- iused2knowwhattosay likes this
- fosterhood posted this