The past two days at work have been complete hell. The kind of social worky hell that I don’t dare blog about because I expect it to blow-up in the news at any moment. So after a day of calling 911 and every governmental agency hotline in the city, listening to and comforting crying staff, then me crying in my supervisor’s office, it’s 11pm, I’m home and all I want is a Diet Coke.
But there’s a girl in line before me at the bodega slapping another kid in the face, screaming about how she’s only 14 years-old, pouring sodas on everyone, and demanding a fight from an adolescent boy who takes off his shirt in preparation.
My blood pressure took me to that place in my brain where it couldn’t get enough oxygen to keep up. I grabbed the “14 year-old” and put her in a hold reserved for adults with mental retardation, gently slammed us both up against a wall and started ghetto screaming “OH HELL NO, I’VE BEEN ON THE PHONE WITH ACS ALL MOTHER-FUCKING DAY. I. AM. NOT. DEALING WITH YOU TONIGHT. YOU OBVIOUSLY HAVE PROBLEMS, BUT YOU OBVIOUSLY ALSO CAN WALK YOUR ASS HOME AND NOT DO THIS. GO. HOME. NOW. I JUST WANT TO GO HOME AND WATCH THE DAILY SHOW.”
You think I’m kidding.
Fortunately, white girl gone psycho-street, wielding 6 bottles of
crack Diet Coke and wearing a fluffy rainbow skirt, was enough to stun the wanna-be Crips and Bloods war that was about to start.
And all this to say, I don’t know how one of the bachelor’s level case workers in the city, who are put on the front lines of hell, hasn’t gone completely postal. They really need to be revered up there with the police and firemen and women.
Recent commentsBlog comments powered by Disqus
- tolivewithoutroads likes this
- librarianpirate likes this
- thebarmaiden likes this
- questionthewisdom likes this
- westendblues likes this
- josephine likes this
- laraloveschad likes this
- titleproper likes this
- domesticnoise likes this
- thebakingshrink said: Oh wow, I would not wanna get between you and your diet coke.
- singyoursight likes this
- jaimealyse reblogged this from nickdouglas and added:
- jaimealyse likes this
- dapperbutts reblogged this from nickdouglas
- camillionaire likes this
- chasingbaxter likes this
- amandaceleste likes this
- minniemae likes this
- relovingit likes this
- yumwatch likes this
- 122782 likes this
- rebeka21 likes this
- masquesoporfavor said: OMGGG!!! You’re my hero. I wish you lived in Atlanta. There’s about a bazillion kids you could help here.
- letschangethings likes this
- buildingaladder likes this
- honestnicole likes this
- le-petitchat likes this
- irresponsiblyaffectionate likes this
- melissanat likes this
- permisadventure likes this
- no-evidence-of-intelligence likes this
- mariahnotcarey likes this
- margueritatoldtom likes this
- carinacakes likes this
- my-little-kumquat likes this
- yesterdayschild likes this
- ipromisetowrite likes this
- anjobanjo reblogged this from fosterhood and added:
- tastyanagram reblogged this from fosterhood and added:
- tastyanagram likes this
- anjobanjo likes this
- nickdouglas reblogged this from fosterhood
- nickdouglas likes this
- farnotforgotten said: I think I’m in love
- farnotforgotten likes this
- suburbanwifecitylife said: The need for Diet coke will make people crazy, maybe that’s all the girl needed?
- suburbanwifecitylife likes this
- justonemoreminuteplease likes this
- fullydomesticated said: Go social workers! <3
- emmysmacks likes this